Freecycle(tm) Rules & Etiquette
Dear Bath Freecycle(TM) Member,
Thanks for joining The Freecycle Network. We're changing the world one gift at a time!
This message contains answers to MANY common new-user questions, so please take time to read it before jumping in.
FREECYCLE GROUP RULES
1. KEEP IT FREE, LEGAL & APPROPRIATE FOR ALL AGES. This means, for example, no pornography, alcohol, tobacco, drugs (of any kind, including all medicines, vitamins, creams, etc.), firearms or other weapons. Two strikes and you're out of the group. This is our main Freecycle rule to live by and it's a pretty easy one at that. No advertising your yard sale, please, as you're asking for money and that isn't free.
2. NO POLITICS, NO SPAM, NO MONEY, NO PERSONAL ATTACKS/RUDENESS, NO PROSELYTIZING/RELIGION. It's all about R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Two strikes & you're out, ie you will be unsubscribed by the moderator after two inappropriate postings.
3. NO TRADING PLEASE. Go to your local trading organization for this. It can be quite fun. With Freecycle, though, there are no strings attached, just give it away now.
4. RESPOND ONLY TO PERSON WHO POSTED. It keeps down the sheer number of e-mails.
5. NO OFFERING YOURSELF OR YOUR CHILDREN. Posting oneself or another person from the human species is not allowed. There are many fine Internet dating sites better suited to this purpose.
FREECYCLE GUIDELINES & ETIQUETTE
CAN WE USE FREECYCLE TO FIND NEW HOMES FOR PETS?
Yes, keep it legal and be lovingly careful. Please visit http://www.petfinder.com/ to look up many other pet-related resources.
NO posts seeking animals for breeding purposes or to be used for feeding other animals or people are allowed in Freecycle groups. There is detailed information on posting pet messages in the files section.
NO ADVERTISING, TRADING OR BARTERING PLEASE. No advertising of your business or offering to swap services or other items for items you're seeking or offering. Please remove advertising footers from your emails when posting to Freecycle - this includes your signature lines with your business title and/or website. There are numerous sites to trade, barter and/or sell your items. Freecycle is NOT one of those.
CHOOSING WHO TO GIVE TO: Generally, wait until you get three or four responses or maybe overnight, and then pick whomever you like! That's half the fun. Consider giving a local non-profit preference if one should respond. Arrange pickup with one person only, rather than "it's on the porch, whoever gets here first gets it." That's not safe and it means some folks might drive a long way just to find an empty porch. Also: only give your phone number to one person at a time or ask for the recipient's phone number. Otherwise you could get swamped with phone calls, maybe at 3 AM.
Transactions are between Offerer and Recipient and will not be mediated or arbitrated by Freecycle administrators, moderators, or representatives.
SAFETY. Be aware! DO NOT list your phone number or exact address in your post to the group. There are unscrupulous people out there who may "collect" information about you from your posts. This could identity theft, home invasion, or unwanted phone calls. Giving personal details about you, your children or your disabled grandmother is strongly advised against. It is up to each individual member of Freecycle, when arranging to exchange an item being given away, to be appropriately aware of the potential risk of having "a stranger" come to your home to pick something up or to go to a stranger's home if you're the recipient.
Freecycle assumes no responsibility for this risk. You may want to say that you'll leave the item on the front porch while you are not home or arrange to have someone with you if there is a large item involved.
DON'T USE FREECYCLE TO ASK FOR PEN PALS, EXERCISE BUDDIES, OR A DATE. Recycling oneself (or one's shy friends) is, we're afraid, not allowed. There are many fine internet dating sites better suited to this purpose. No offering your spouse or children either.
HOW TO SUCCEED AT FREECYCLE:
Be nice. When you arrange to pick up an item from another Freecycle member, it is basic good manners to accommodate them as much as possible in terms of scheduling, and then be punctual. They are, after all, giving you something you need and asking nothing in return except that you will show up when you say you will. (Leaving someone hanging is never a nice thing.) Also, unless the giver tells you otherwise, assume that they would like you to come by as soon as you can to take away the item; no more than three days after the offer is made is suggested. Say Thank You with an email to the gifter.
DISCLAIMER: FREECYCLE NETWORK MEMBERS USE THE LIST AT THEIR OWN RISK.
Please take reasonable measures to protect your safety and privacy when posting to the list or participating in an exchange. By joining the list, you agree to hold neither the list owners and moderators nor anyone affiliated with Freecycle.org responsible or liable for any circumstance resulting from a Freecycle -related exchange or communication.
That should just about do it. Have fun and Keep on recycling with Freecycle!
Your Bath Freecycle Team